Thursday, March 17, 2011

No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Downloaded the massive 9Gb patches for AoC today. If you had been following any of my posts you'd 'maybe' remember that was one of the sole reasons I wanted a gaming laptop.



After downloading I get a message that my card drivers are outdated. So I was like sure, I suppose because these ones would have been preinstalled from back in 2010. I go to the nVidia website and well they don't have a drop down selection for the 500M series cards. Did nVidia forget that they make them?



Looked around for other drivers and went to the 'all notebook' section. Downloaded these: NVIDIA DRIVERS 266.58 WHQL But it's a no-go. They aren't compatible... so I went to Acers website and found drivers supplied on the 10/1/11 which is 8 days before the 266.58 update which is what AoC is complaining about.



The ones I installed from Acer are newer than the older ones pre-installed but they're still making AoC complain. If anyone knows where to find the 500M series drivers I'd really like to know. Seems stupid that they aren't on the front page.



I have the worst luck when it comes to this sort of thing...

Reply 1 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

The one you linked is the Desktop version ...



This is the latest WHQL driver for mobile Nvidia chips NVIDIA DRIVERS 266.58 WHQL



but it doesn't include the 500M line up so you can:



1- Give them a shot & see if they would install

2- If they say you have a non-supported chip go to NVIDIA & Laptop News | Latest NVIDIA drivers and related news | laptopvideo2go.com & get a modded .inf for that driver it will be less than 1 megs & you would have the downloaded driver anyway



EDIT: After checking laptopvideo2go ... I found a lot of OEM drivers that include the GT540M ... you can check your device ID & find an OEM driver that has the same ID if you don't want to use a modded .inf

Reply 2 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Hey thanks for the help man and I really appreciate it. Had issues with a modded driver on my sisters laptop and I wont risk my baby to that, shes brand new. I'm a bit paranoid.





Either way the notebook ones didn't work, it's obvious that nVidia is being slack here.. any idea when they plan to release support for the chips? These ones are meant to be top of the notebook class... why is there no support for them?



No matter.. should only take a few weeks right?

Reply 3 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

hopefully the next whql will have the 500 cards included.

Reply 4 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

I really think few weeks will be a bit extreme ... dunno about Nvidia drivers progress nowadays my last Nvidia chip was 7900GTX ... but I guess few days to a couple of weeks will be enough

Reply 5 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Well maybe I'm really unlucky.. I still have to purchase more game time on AoC anyway lol so no massive rush, just messing around in the free unlimited version.



Thanks for both your input. Something tells me it'll be about a month.

Reply 6 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

if your download aint monthly limited like mine you can try other OEM drivers or maybe other ACER drivers that may incorporate the 500M lineup in them ... other than that you can always contact Nvidia & ask them about an ETA on the support of the 500M lineup they maybe waiting to throw the drivers with the release of one of the big guns like the 580 or something ... who knows you may find the driver online tomorrow or maybe in a couple of months ... it is the luck of the draw

Reply 7 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Man I feel sorry for you that your download is montly limited... I might contact nVidia and ask them for an ETA. I don't care so much but well I've just encounted my second game that wants new HQL drivers...



I'll go harrass nVidia.



On top of that, how would I use the notebook2video website? It gives me the spot to put in my model and such but I don't understand what goes in the 2 boxes.

Reply 8 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Why no 500M series 266.58 WHQL drivers avaliable? - NVIDIA Forums



Tech person from Nvidia said that they'll be in the next update. That's nice to know, hopefully he'll tell me when in the next post.

Reply 9 : No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?

Quite the rapid response from Nvidia ... it's good to know that they care

1 comment:

  1. No nVidia 500M '266.58' drivers for GT 540M/500M series cards?
    You'd better go to their official web site and get online support.

    www.forumswindows8.com or www.win8forum.net

    ReplyDelete