Friday, March 25, 2011

In the matter of good computer hygiene

I recognize that there may be another forum where this is more appropriate, but I almost always post here unless I have a specific problem and I know which other forum to go to. In this case I don't.

I'm not good at habitually cleaning my computer, but I do have Norton 360 (Its predecessor came with the computer) and periodically I run the scans I feel I need, perhaps every 2 weeks, perhaps longer sometimes.

How often should I be running full scans? Are there better Utilities out there, or is it sort of make your pick and take your chances? I am a merely superficial user, not an utter newbie, nor technologically deaf, but without any tutelage in the ins and outs of computer usage. I can't even figure out how to persuade my keyboard to display French characters, though sometimes it seems to do it spontaneously, and I basically have to Log Off and Log On again to re-set the keyboard to American. May I have some assistance in this matter, including directing me to the proper forum for this sort of wide-ranging issue?

The thing I find most frustrating are what I call pop-unders which don't interfere with the site you're surfing, but when you close the window there they are. I downloaded the Mozilla add-on which was mentioned recently here, and this morning had more pop-unders than ever, 7 I think. Now it doesn't seem to make any difference to performance which says a lot for the AMD Turion X2 processor. It's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv7 laptop running Windows 7 assuming that's what followed Windows Vista. The upgrade was done in store as part of the sale (free) and I'm having a senior moment over its name.

Rob

Reply 1 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

Windows and Norton are both computer bugs. There's a patch here...

Reply 2 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

AVG antivirus by Grisoft, Adaware by Lavasoft, Easy Cleaner 2 by Toni Arts, Malware Bytes. Each one does something different with some overlap. You can visit download dot com and find the most popular which is a good indicator of their efficacy.

Reply 3 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

and liked it. I also used AdAware, and I'm obviously going to have to again. Didn't know about Easy Cleaner so I'll investigate, same with Malware Bytes.

As you say, having multiple software apps with different ways of assessing threats, and which overlap one another is better than relying on one.

Most obliged,
Rob

Reply 4 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

If you bought a new car and it's computer required you to buy a bunch of add ons to keep it running wouldn't you get another brand of car? It seems the list of additional software needed to keep Windoze running increases with every new version. When will it stop?

Reply 5 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

the only one active constantly would be the AVG. Adaware now can also stay active in the background, but that can be disabled too. Unfortunate fact of life is an overwhelming majority of computer users in the world are addicted to Windows and it's programs, and for compatibility reasons in spite of it's shortcomings at times, the compatibility factor and greater number of third party programs that run on it rather than Linux or some other system, makes using Windows a necessity at times.

If all someone wanted to do was browse, download email, do picture and video conversions, and simple document files, and buying a computer that didn't come with an operating system, I'd advise them to go with a free linux OS.

Reply 6 : In the matter of good computer hygiene

Go with free programs such are suggested in the help forums. I use Avast, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and really only scan about once every week or so. Do use a router rather than plug directly into a modem. And, the best virus defense is always the user. I've often said that, what comes home on the bottom of your shows depends on where you went for a walk. There are places one should not be lured. Some are obvious and some are not. There are habits to avoid such as clicking on e-mail links and attachments from folks you don't know or barely know. Use a secure browser and set it to empty its cache when you exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment