Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

My days are "numbered", I have trouble with some sites..

What comes "closest" to my: Netscape 7.2 ??? I love my E-Mail capability, Bookmarks, Folders, Password keeper, Address Keeper & Highlighter.. ??????

I am on a Dell Dimension 8400 PC. Operating XP.......
Any help will be appreciated.

Reply 1 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

And I was sad that I had to let go.

Mozilla, the developers of Netscape, replaced it with Firefox, and whilst it does have its differences, and looks and feels different, it is essentially the same underneath.

But for a more retrograde "Netscape" feel and look, you could try SeaMonkey, from the same Mozilla stable;
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.1.8/
I have it installed on my system but I must admit I don't use it that much nowadays.

Another Mozilla connected browser is Flock. It looks quite different, but I have not used it myself.

I use Firefox exclusively now.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Reply 2 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

Technically, Mozilla did not develop Netscape. Netscape Communications Corporation, part of AOL since '98, mostly funded Mozilla Organization's development of Mozilla Suite and based Netscape 6+ on Mozilla Suite's code, but the two were actually in competition. Eventually the Mozilla Organization split off, with AOL's support, into the Mozilla Foundation (and later Mozilla Corp) to distance itself from Netscape. Firefox and Thunderbird were then developed by the Mozilla Foundation based on Mozilla Suite's code to replace Mozilla Suite, considered to be too bloated. A year after Mozilla Suite was canned it was picked up by what would become the SeaMonkey Council. It is backed by the Mozilla Foundation and based on the code from Mozilla Suite, Firefox, and Thunderbird but remains a separate project. If you do not find that abbreviated synopsis confusing, read it again. happy

That said:
1.) SeaMonkey has the e-mail client built in and has the most matching code, making it the logical replacement for Netscape.
2.) The AOL/Netscape developers who last worked on Netscape recommended users switch to Flock, a third-party browser based on Firefox. Like Firefox it lacks a built-in e-mail client, but adds social networking features.
3.) Most former Netscape users choose to use Firefox (browser) and Thunderbird (email client), which are by far the most popular.

John

Reply 3 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

The motherboard on my 5 year old laptop quit almost 2 weeks ago. I had been running under Windows XP with Netscape 7.2 as my browser and AT&T as my dial-up ISP. My old drive is still accessible using an IDE converter and related cable. I accessed my email, addresses and bookmarks through Netscape.

My replacement laptop is an HP Pavilion with 4GB memory and 320GB hard drive, running under Vista Home Prem 64 bit edition with Windows Explorer as the browser and AT&T as the dial-up browser. I accessed email only from the AT&T webmail page. Very cumbersome!

I would like to setup email, etc. as I did previously and I would like to recover data in mail files, etc. that I used before. I'm not sure how to this can be done. Can I port those files so that they are usable under Exployer or should I try to use a copy of Netscape 7.2 or one of the browsers recomended to replace Netscape.

Maybe I was just lazy/procratinating, but I was sure confortable with 7.2

Joe

Reply 4 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

The email software was called Netscape Messenger. It usually came bundled with the browser as I recall.

I found this; http://browser.netscape.com/releases

It lists all of the previous Netscape versions available for download, and I assume that the listed Netscape v7.2 will also include Netscape Messenger.

But importing your old emails may or may not be easy. I can't say as I have never had to do it.

It seems to me that it should be easy. When you install Netscape 7.2 Messenger will also be installed. Then, from your old disk, find and copy the Netscape 7.2 Mail files from the Mail Account folder (pop.yourisp.net) (Inbox, Drafts, Templates, Sent, and any SBD folders which are sub-folders), and paste them into the new Netscape 7.2 folders, over-writing the newly created ones if necessary. Do that before opening Messenger.

However, that may be too easy. Looking at how Netscape emails are imported to other clients, like Outlook or Thunderbird, the method seems quite complicated and involves deleting .msf files. Why, I don't know. Here's a link so you can see what I mean;
http://www.windowsbbs.com/firefox-thunderbird-seamonkey/37418-importing-mail-netscape-7-1-thunderbird-0-9-a.html

You know, you could really get to like Thunderbird if you tried it, devil

Mark

Reply 5 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

Mark,

I'm not clear about the relationship between Netscape 7.1 and Thunderbird 0.9. Is T-bird functionally the Netscape Messinger
in Netscape 7.2? Does T-bird work with Netscape 7.2? Is it intended to work mostly as the 'messsage manager' for Firefox?

About a year ago, I lost access to my mail files (Inbox, Drafts, Templates, Sent) and bookmarks folders and I think address books, all files were under the Documents and Settings folder. The Netscape support people talked me through a process similar to what you discribed. The mail system functioned through Outlook 97. I'm not sure how that would work under Vista and Outlook 2007.

How long does it take to download Netscape 7.2 on a dial-up line and will it install under Vista?

Joe

Reply 6 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

Is T-bird functionally the Netscape Messinger in Netscape 7.2?
-> It's based on it, yes.

Does T-bird work with Netscape 7.2?
-> No. It is a stand-alone application.

Is it intended to work mostly as the 'messsage manager' for Firefox?
-> Yes. It is a stand-alone application which is designed to complement Firefox.

I'm not sure how that would work under Vista and Outlook 2007.
-> More or less the same way.

How long does it take to download Netscape 7.2 on a dial-up line and will it install under Vista?
-> The time varies widely based on your connection at that exact time. It will install under Vista, though.

John

Reply 7 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

I assume I should download Netscape 7.2 Suite versus
7.2 (Navigator only). Am I correct?
Joe

Reply 8 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

The Suite version includes all of the functionality the base browser omits.

John

Reply 9 : I still use NETSCAPE 7.2

I have got Windows 7 and I have got Netscape Navigator 9. Which is based on Firefox 2. And I am very happy with it and it works on every website,even on You Tube.Although you do get a message saying it is no longer supported. But you can still play videos and use the You Tube site.The only website that does not let you on with it is My Space but every other website does.And all of your plug ins from Firefox are imported to Netscape Navigator 9 so there is no problem playing videos either.But Netscape 8 and 7 are a different story and using those is like using a completely different browser.

Netscape 8 is a bit like an earlier version of out current Lunascape browser.Anyone who has used Lunascape,will know that it has a triple engine,IE engine,Trident,Firefox engine,Gecko, and webkit engine and you can switch between the one you want.Netscape 8 has two,IE,engine and Firefox engine and like Lunascape you can just switch from one to the other.But it does not recognize your flash player so to watch videos in Netscape 8 or 7. You have to download Adobe flash player from the Adobe website.To watch videos and you need to install both flash player-Adobe flash player active X for Internet Explorer AND adobe flash player plug in for Firefox-To play videos in both IE and Firefox mode in Netscape 7 and 8. And you must download the flash players within Netscape browser.And it is true that on Netscape 8,7 and 6,you CAN get onto the My space website with these versions and you do not get the message saying your browser is outdated when you go onto You Tube. I don't know why that is.

Netscape 7 is the same as Netscape 8 but has the email client. Netscape 6,well that wanted to install many add ons among them Real Player 8,which is now out of date. And so don't bother with Netscape 6. What is also interesting is that Netscape 7 or 8 will install itself alongside your existing Netscape 9 browser.Like chromium installs alongside your Google Chrome. So you can run both Netscape 7 or 8 and Netscape 9 side by side each other on your computer.

So it seems that Netscape Navigator 9 and Netscape 8,7 or 6 are separate web browsers. And Netscape 8 is not called Netscape Navigator like 9 is it is called Netscape browser.But although some people may find a double engine browser useful and on Netscape 8,7 and 6 you can switch between IE's engine or the Firefox engine. I do not see the need for that. And on Netscape Navigator 9,there is no IE engine. Netscape Navigator 9 is just based on the Firefox engine which suits me better and in my opinion Netscape 9 is a better web browser than the earlier versions.So go for Netscape Navigator 9,the latest version. Andrea Borman.

No comments:

Post a Comment