Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BD-P1600 Network Issues

Hi all,

Just purchased the BD-P1600 to use with my Netflix account. I am connecting through an ethernet connection. However, I can only get it to work when I disable the firewall on my Belkin router. When the firewall is enabled, Netflix doesn't work and the network test fails on the Gateway Ping test.

I don't want to disable my firewall to get this to work, so I'm not sure what other options I have. Using the wireless option would require a purchase of a device for it and would get the same results since it seems to be a router issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Reply 1 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Purplewin,

Perhaps allowing Netflix as an approved site in the router might help. I am not a master of networking, but you might try to cross-post this in the Networking forum as well.

I'll take a hack at this, and you can try (or the rest of the forum can laugh - one or the other)... grin

But with my router, typing in 192.168.1.1 gets me into the router, and I can set site allowances and restrictions. Maybe setting www.netflix.com with no restrictions would do the trick.

Now I'll step aside and hopefully a real expert on networking can assist.

Forum members?

--HDTech

Reply 2 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I am having similar problems with a new BD-P1600.

I have DSL through Embarq. I hardwired the ethernet connection from a Netgear WPN824 router to the Blu-ray player.

Initially I had to disable my SPI firewall for it to work. I solved that problem by upgrading my router firmware.

Now the network connection seems to work intermittently for about a day at a time. When it stops working, the network test (in Setup) fails at test #3 the "gateway ping". Moving the ethernet plug to my laptop - the connection to the internet works fine. I can manually do a gateway ping from the laptop with no problem. Once it fails I am unable to make it work. Reseting everything seems to make no difference. Maybe it will work tomorrow.

I hope Samsung can give some advise ... when it's working, Netflix and Pandora are really neat features and one of the primary reasons I bought the unit.

Reply 3 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I wish I could say I found a solution, but ultimately I decided to take the unit back to the store. I contacted both Samsung and Belkin and neither had a solution. Too bad, I really would have liked to have kept it.

Reply 4 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Just bought BDP 1600 and LAN wireless to stream movies via Netflix. I think I'm putting in all the correct #'s for Wireless Network Set up but still not working. Any suggestions?

Reply 5 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

dezin_sense,

Are you also using the Apple wireless?

--HDTech

Reply 6 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Yes, I'm connected through Apple Airport Express.

Reply 7 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

HD-Tech: Thanks for responding here to questions. I'm also trying to connect the 1600 up via Airport Express but having trouble. Ive got them connected via the Expresss ethernet port, but am lost with Samsungs poorly documented Network Setup: thought Id be able to find and select my network at Access Point under Wireless Network, but cant. I did get a MAC Access error notice which makes me think the 1600 at least recognized the network. Do I need to manually set IP address, etc? Do I need to use Aiport Utility to change config of Airport Express? Thanks for any help you can give!

Reply 8 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

jonmck8,

I'm compiling information on the Airport routers. I'm not sure if they're compatible, but I'm trying to get information on this currently.

--HDTech

Reply 9 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

it can be done but I'm still not sure how. See comment here by Mike S:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-03/samsung-bd-p1600-blu-ray-netflix-pandora/comment-page-1/#comment-87437

This gives me hope though I'm still considering returning the 1600.

Thanks, HD-Tech, for following up.

Reply 10 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Purplewin,

I'm sorry to hear that this didn't work out for you. That said, I'd rather you be happy today, and consider us in the future rather than have something you're truly not happy with.

--HDTech

Reply 11 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I just purchased my BD-P1600 today 11/5/2009 and I was able to update the firmware with no issues. This is the first thing I did before I even tried my first disc. I did it the CD method for the first time. I used the instructions on the website and it worked without a hitch. Samsung should really put something in their manual about doing the first update of the Firmware. The reason I state this is that it mentions something about after you update your firmware for the first time from CD that you need to run through the steps again. After the first time you do not need to do that. My suspicion is that if you do it for the first time from the web that it does not completely load until the second load of the firmware is done. That could be the whole reason it is stuck on load.

Reply 12 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

As a follow up to my previous post...

I exchanged the BD-P1600 for a new one and everything is working great. It became apparent the ethernet port on the original unit was flaky. The new unit immediately lights the connection indicator on the router/hub when the power is turned on. The original one didn't.

It is also working with all normal settings through the DSL modem firewall and router firewall. I did have to update the router firmware. I also had Embarq update my network connection from an older PPPoE connection - don't know if that really mattered.

For reference, my network configuration is: Embarq DSL with a ZyXEL 660 modem (replaced an older 645) <--> Netgear RangeMax WPN824 version 1 router (with updated firmware) <--> 100ft cat6 patch cable <--> a hub (probably not needed) <--> patch cable to the unit.

With approximately 3meg internet download speed, the quality of the picture from Netflix is great with no delays.

Thumbs up to Samsung for their tech help in verifying the unit was faulty.

Reply 13 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I too have had this problem w/ the 1600 and Belkin router. I believe the issue is with the router as I had similar issue with other wireless devices. (ex. Win XP computer connect wirelessly bo prob but a Vista Computer would not).

Anyway I turned off the Firewall and it worked fine...but who wants to turn off the firewall.
The only other option I see is that Belkin router(my model is F5D7230) allows you to put 1 IP address into their DMZ, basically a firewall passthrough for just that IP without turning off the firewall for any other computer.
This works for me as well.
I have no idea the possible consequences of opening up my BlueRay player to the internet w/o a firewall....can you hack a BP??

Anyway my next issues to tackle are:
Crappy picture ( I have 1.5G DSL and playback on a 60" Plasma...hmmm)
Oh, and a minor detail, no sound, only picture. I'll search for those issues in another forum but if anyone reads it here and has any thoughts let me know!

Reply 14 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Oh yeah, looking at the Belkin bsecurity log it says "Blocked by DoS protection" when trying to test the 1600's connection and failing on the gateway ping, so it clearly erroneously sees the 1600 as something evil from the outside. Brilliant.

Reply 15 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I've neglected to mention I'm using AIRPORT Express. Does that make a difference. I was told by my ISP I should set DHCP "ON" and DNS "AUTO", because Apple is providing me the "service" Is it Apple that screwing me up?

Reply 16 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

As far as I know it should work with DHCP "ON" and DNS "AUTO", as this is how it is intended.

Quick update, my connection eventually failed w/ the Belkin DMZ setting and I had to go back to just turning off the router's firewall.
From other posts I read this may not be a huge vulnerability unless you're running a server or something. Otherwise in the event of a DOS attack it would just shut down your modem.

Reply 17 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Probably stating the obvious, but if your using DMZ through the router, you need a fixed IP. Otherwise when a different IP is given, the DMZ won't work. I would also recommend reserving the fixed IP in the router (based on the BP's mac address) to prevent one of your computers from being assigned that address and unknowingly opening that machine up as a DMZ.

Reply 18 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Hi dezin_sense

It seems that we are in the very same boat you are.

If/when you come to some solution, would you be so kind as to let us know?

Many thanks.

Reply 19 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

pesp123,
Will keep you posted.
I did connect the Samsung BD-P1600 directly to an ethernet and worked just fine, but when I had to go to my computer to punch in the NetFlix ACTIVATE CODE...can't. DUH, I have no internet CONNECTION!

The whole point of buying the WIS09ABGN doggle is to go WIRELESS!
I'm on the verge of returning EVERYTHING...& canceling NetFlix.

Reply 20 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

pesp_123,
Had to do it....replaced my Airport Express and bought a NETGEAR wireless router. EVERYTHING works.

I'm streaming Netflix and listening to Pandora, just too bad my Airport Express has now become obsolete.

Good luck.

Reply 21 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

We connected but only after much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair!

1. We traded our P1600 for the P3600 (built in wireless hardware, no need for the dongle dood-dad; in terms of cost, from B and H, we got the P3600 for about the same as P1600 plus the dongle would have cost. Note that the P3600 comes with 1 gig built-in, which the P1600 does not.
2. We spent pretty much 6 hours f'ing around and calling Samsung ... and then trying pretty much every configuration possible until, voila, we're connected through our local wireless "secure" network.

FYI, what we learned through our techno-retarded agony:
A. Samsung "Level 2" tech told us that the network name cannot contain special characters or spaces.
B. DHCP is set to "on"
C. Our "Gateway" number is the same as our "DNS" number.

Reply 22 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

So should i assume the wireless will not work with the -1600?
and what you wrote here wouldn't apply to the 1600?

FYI, what we learned through our techno-retarded agony:
A. Samsung "Level 2" tech told us that the network name cannot contain special characters or spaces.
B. DHCP is set to "on"
C. Our "Gateway" number is the same as our "DNS" number

Reply 23 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Dezin or anyone else with a potential answer,

Did you get the samsung wireless usb adapter to work with your 1600? I run a sonicwall TZ180 wireless and cannot get the 1600 to pass the ping test. If I connect with the wired connection, it works just fine, passes through the firewall without any issues. I also tried a belken wireless gaming adapter and it to fails the ping test. I have been using dhcp on and dns auto.

delahund

Reply 24 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

delahund,
Yes I was able to make it work. My problem, I think, was that I was using the Apple Airport Express. I bought a Netgear Wireless router upgraded the firmware (MUST upgrade firmware, it wasn't working at first until I did that), keep the setting you have (DHCP on & HNS auto) and EVERYTHING should work PERFECTLY. My only regret is that my Apple Airport has become obsolete. Good luck.

Reply 25 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

It took a while but I connected the 1600 via ethernet to an Airport Express. Two key things, one on the Apple side, one on Samsung. First, the Express must be the 802.11n model, for it allows Ethernet out. Secondand this is weirdunder the Network section of the Samsung 1600's Setup menu, I selected "Cable" rather than "Wireless." Totally counter-intuitive, unless you figure a) "Wireless" refers to the Samsung wireless dongle only; and b) "Cable" must really mean "ethernet," since the 1600 has no co-axil cable jackor perhaps it does mean "cable" as my wireless network gets its DSL via cable, but so would the Samsung dongle if I had gone that way. In any case, the networking of the Samsung needs to be much better documented (so too the Airport Express).

Reply 26 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I know this post is months old, but I just spent three hours trying every possible configuration until I finally got it to work, and I wanted to post my results.

Samsung BD-P1590
Ethernet Cable from BD Player to
Comcast internet modem
Ethernet Cable from Comcast internet modem to
Airport Extreme router

What I had to do was set:
DHCP: OFF
IP ADDRESS: found in Airport Admin Utility: Internet tab
SUBNET MASK: found in Airport Admin Utility: Internet tab
GATEWAY: same number as IP address
DNS: Manual
Primary DNS: found in Airport Admin Utility: Internet tab (greyed out number to the right of the blank text box labeled DNS servers)

When I attempted to connect to the network, I failed the INTERNET SERVICE TEST. I backed out of the network connection test and went back to my cable settings.

I changed DHCP to ON and DNS to Auto, but it still showed my previously entered numbers, just greyed out.

I tried the network connection test again and PASSED!

It will NOT work if I use the default 0s when I select DHCP on and DNS auto.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Reply 27 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

OMG,

After spending numerous hours today trying to hook up my Blu Ray and reading all the posts. I have finally gotten my working and thought I would share how I did it. (It took a combination of several different suggestions from everyone, so thanks to all of you).

First this is my wireless set up

Comcast Provider
Linksys router

I did the following

Turned off my Firewall (clicked on wireless network icon on bottom right hand of computer)

Changed the setting DHCP to manual and inputted my IP and Gateway address (I obtained that information by right clicking on my wireless icon on the bottom right of my computer). Being very specific for those that are not computer savvy (which I am not)

Then I clicked on Access Point (and chose my home internet). I selected WEP (I selected that since the information from my wireless company indicated that is what I had-same place as information for IP address). I had to then input my 26 digit encryption key. (which I got when I set up system.

I saved everything and ran the network connection test and passed everything (including the Ping test) EXCEPT for the internet service test.

I then went back to Wireless Network (in the set up screen) and changed the DHCP to On (which changed the DNS to auto) and saved. Went back to Network Connection Test and reran and it shows CONNECTED!

I then went back in and turned on my Firewall and reran network connection test and it show "Network operating properly".

I am not sure that this will help anyone but after working on this for 3 hours (and reading and trying all the posts). It appeared to me that these were the common corrections that seemed to work on most so I just put them together and they fixed both problems.

I am not very computer savvy but was determined to not let this "glitch" beat me. I hope others find this information useful.

I am not ready to connect to Netflix, etc.

Sorry so detailed but thought others might appreciate the step by step instructions on how I succeeded!

Good Luck

Reply 28 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

I am convinced the WIRELESS NETWORKK doesn't work at all on the BD-P1600. I bought the unit at BEST BUY as well as the $80 USB STICK (ridiculous!!!!0 and after hours of not being able to connect-I am using an Apple Airport Base Express station-the Samsung recognized it but when i put in the password it didn't it didn't connect. AFter calls to SAMSUNG who told me the unit won't recognize 'numbers' as a name for the network-i changed my network to a real name-it DID recognize it but when i entered the password it would NOT connect. After hours of being on the phoen with 5 different 'tech) people at SAMSUNG-3 who hung up on me because they couldn't help and got frustrated and after doing everything they said it STILL wouldn't connect-I repeat-it DID recognize my network name but there was a LOCK on it and when i tried to enter the password to connect it WOULDN'T -TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME OUT!
After reading the many reports from both MAC & PC users i am convinced their WIRELESS NETWORK DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!!!

Reply 29 : BD-P1600 Network Issues

Did you read all the posts above? Most of the members got it working in the end. So your thought of it not working at all must be wrong.

If you can't get it working, return it or get a tech from the shop to set it up. If he can't either, they'll surely agree to returning. It seems to be a difficult job anyway.

Kees

No comments:

Post a Comment