Thursday, March 17, 2011

Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

I currently have the ATT issued router. I think the brand is 2wireless or something like that. I want to upgrade to N and I don't want to go through ATT to do it.

I 'd like to spend as little as possible as well as keep the final cost below 200USD.

I have 6 computers in the house. two wired and 4 wireless.

I'd like to be able to have at least two computers able to stream video from youtube or hulu at the same time without one computer hogging all the bandwidth.



Thanks in advance for any and all replies.



Fry

Reply 1 : Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

Is it a combo (ADSL modem and a router) or a standalone router?

Do you have anything against two devices- a separate ADSL modem and a router?

If you need a good router for reasonable money- Netgear WNR3500L ($70) is my recommendation. it has good hardware- gigabit Ethernet, 300mbps Wi-Fi, USB port, 480MHz CPU and 64MB RAM. It also has good stock firmware and is supported by 3rd party firmwares like DD-WRT.



As for ADSL modem (if you even need one) it has to be something decent and stable but that's all- TP Link TD-8840T would do.

Reply 2 : Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

Yes it's a combo.

I plug my DSL line into it and then I get my internet connection either through one of the 4 ports on the back or a wireless connection.



I should also mention I need to be able to use it to print wirelessly and access my network drive through this router/modem.



Although I don't have anything particular against two separate devices, it would be more convenient for me to have a combo device.

Reply 3 : Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

Do you want the printer and HDD to be connected to the router via USB or are those devices connected by Ethernet cable?



If it's via Ethernet than my recommendation stands- separate modem and router are better than a combo- both in terms of hardware and in terms of firmware (no third party firmware for combo devices)

Reply 4 : Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

They are both connected via ehternet right now.

Reply 5 : Need a replacement router for AT&T internet

OK. So you don't need anything more from the router.

No comments:

Post a Comment