Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cannot read CD-Rom content

I have just finished a drag-and drop operation of images to a CD-Rom.
It was very simple and easy to do, so I was very dismayed when I asked my husband
to view it on his PC, that it doesn't show anything.
Since my PC showed a list of everything I had copied onto the CD-Rom, I inserted into my disk drive. I could tell that something was wrong, when it made running noises for too long.
The result was that Internet Explorer was not responding and I had to restart the PC.
A second try produced the same result.
My PC is a xps420 dell and I have little experience copying images to a CD.
I was given the CDR, 40X, 80min 700 mb, Audiobahn Music in the Fast Lane
to copy images onto for a fellow garden club member.
What did I do wrong? It seemed so easy.

Reply 1 : Cannot read CD-Rom content

It's basically this.. The "Packet Writing" software which formats the CD/DVD disc to allow the drag/drop is a little glitchy.. First, the type you have on your computer may not be the same format type on someone else's computer.. As such, they won't be able to read a formatted disc from your machine. In addition, the packet writing/formatting process isn't reliable at all. Commonly, you'll see the new files for a while, then the next time you place it in your DVD/CD drive, it won't read it. It's why we don't use packet writing software to backup important files.. It's just not reliable.

So, it order to do what you want, the best procedure is to perform a tradition data disc "finalized/closed" burn of the data you want to pass along.. A little obscure is the ability of CD-RW/DVD-RW discs (rewritable) disc to perform this "finalized/closed" burn repeatedly.. With one RW disc, you can burn the data onto the disc, finalize/close it, use the disc for a while, and when you're ready to place new information on the disc, use the "Erase" option on your burning software, then perform a new traditional burn..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Reply 2 : Cannot read CD-Rom content

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I have my own CD-RW disks and will try this tomorrow, I'm sure with more luck.
It was just too easy; why is such a seemingly useless function even available.
I wasted quite a bit of time doing this and having my PC freeze up twice; so frustrating!
Well, I am happy there is CNet and it's terrific forum participants.
Because of you, my time wasn't really wasted, but I learned to do things the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment