Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Questions About Adding a Momentus XT to a 2010 MBP 15"

Hey guys,



I have been very satisfied by the performance of the SSD in my MBP (specs in sig). However, due to having both OS X and Win7, the space on the SSD only lets me have about 3 games installed. This is becoming a problem now because I'm playing a wider variety of games and I don't want to worry about downloading them (if digital) and installing them every time I get an urge to play another game. So I need more storage capacity.



However, I can't just swap out the SSD for a 500GB HDD because I have grown to absolutely love the speed of the SSD and I can't imagine going back. But due to my low budget (~$200), I can't just buy a new large-capacity SSD. So my options are to either install a new HD in the optical bay or install my games on an external HD. So here are my questions:



1) Is gaming from an external HD (Momentus XT) viable? Or are USB 2.0 speeds just too slow? If they are too slow, is there another way to plug in the external HD that will improve it's speed, such as Firewire?



2) Can I install a Momentus XT on the MBP's optical bay? If so, is this a difficult task? What will I need and how do I go about doing it? Is there anything extra I need to buy besides the HD? Can I use the SuperDrive in the MBP externally via USB once I remove it from the notebook?



Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Movies 24h | Dmart.vn

No comments:

Post a Comment