Wednesday, December 22, 2010

OS X unstable - HATE when it crashes!

Hello guys,



It's been a while since I was here (a few months). I was debating on this forum whether to buy a Mac or not (was having trouble with Lenovos t410s etc.) and made that switch. Overall I mus say that my MB Pro is a great machine, really great.

But today I want to tell you that I am also very frustrated with one thing:

It seems to me that OS X 10.6.5. (that I have) is not that stable.

It crashes....it does. I was told it wouldn't compared to Windows....well what's even worse when my system crashes, there's really nothing you can do about it...just hit the power button.

I have to say that in this regards I've been quite disappointed - the crashes I have appear on a fairly regular basis (can't tell you how often but anytime it happens, the feeling is: here it goes again!).



Now here's a PROBLEM I hope someone will help me solve (MAC and Office for Mac 2011):



Just today I was asked to update my Office 2011 - was in the middle of doing something so was postponing closing of all the necessary programs. It crashed suddenly. And I lost my work worth several days (yes I did not save the documents, apparently, because I was too busy thinking about other things and with AutoRecovery set at 10 min. interval I thought I would be okay).



When I opened Microsof Excel 2011 (where all the important data were from the last days), the file was able to recover data (AutoRecovery) from 14 days ago....what? I mean I still worked with this file this morning and again, when the computer crash...the AutoRecovery was set to 10 min. interval.

How is this possible?



I have been trying to search the whole machine to find some file that would help me. Typically the AutorRecover files are in: in the ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 AutoRecover folder. XL AutoRecover documents are hidden by default.



But there's nothing there that is in any way useful (why? I can't understand it).



So I tried to search various Temporary folders and files on the Mac but was not able to find anything helpful either.



Thus, is there any way in which I can recover the data? I have to say, this has never happened to me in Windows.



Any help will be most appreciated!!!

And your general thoughts on the stability of OS X too!!!



Thank you,



Christina

Mac OS is 10.6.5 and Excel for Mac 2011: 14.0.1.



PS. Please don't tell me that I should have saved my documents on a continuous basis...I know as much myself but sometimes you get so sucked into your work and just simply forget about this.

Movies 24h | Dmart.vn

No comments:

Post a Comment