Monday, April 25, 2011

New Monitor for a 386

Hello -

I'm looking for a new monitor for my old 386 PC running Windows 98se (!) What are the chances of finding one in the marketplace today?

Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 : New Monitor for a 386

Between stores, ebay, craigslist and thrift shops, chances are very good.

Reply 2 : New Monitor for a 386

I was hoping you would reply - Thanks for the reassurance --

Reply 3 : New Monitor for a 386

It was the usual 15 pin D style. Do you recall what this has?
Bob

Reply 4 : New Monitor for a 386

A 15-pin is just a standard VGA connector. I would look for any old CRT VGA monitor that isn't too large. Probably best to go for one of the 15-inch variants, since this is what those computers were designed for. However, I have heard of larger monitors being used on old systems. At any rate, any normal aspect ratio VGA CRT should work fine.

Reply 5 : New Monitor for a 386

Bob - all I can remember is that it's VGA 30 lines

Caldrum2010 - Thanks - I was just about to ask what I should ask/look out for.

Reply 6 : New Monitor for a 386

A bit weird to "reply" to my own post, but thought you'd be interested to know that my existing monitor is nearing 16 years old - doesn't seem at all reasonable.

Reply 7 : New Monitor for a 386

That is pretty old indeed. On the same token, however, you could say the same about a 386 PC. Not exactly cutting-edge technology! But it still used the same old VGA connector, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a standard VGA CRT to upgrade it if you so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment