Monday, April 25, 2011

Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

Hi,



I'm currently looking to replace my DIR-655 Rev A3 with a DIR-655 Rev B1 (better CPU and upgraded Atheros chipset).



I've been using the DIR-655 for over a year and yes it has it's share of problems but I'm very use to the D-Link configuration and the range/performance has been very good. I have four laptops in the home all with Atheros chipset WLAN which works very well with the DIR-655 which also has Atheros hardware.



Are there any other routers out there with better range on wireless N with 2.4Ghz and works well with Atheros chipset WLAN?



Thanks,

Reply 1 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

The WNDR3700 is a dual-band router but it's all Atheros and worked pretty good with my Intel and Broadcom stuff so it should be good with other Atheros too

Reply 2 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

I was looking into the WNDR3700 as a lot users on DSLReportsForum have said it's very good but I'm unsure if it uses a Atheros chipset like the DIR-655.



Also, many users have reported the WNDR3700 V2 (which replaced the V1 in stores) is not as good as the V1 range/performance.



I like the way the router looks as it goes good with my Motorola modem but range/performance and works well with Atheros chipset WLAN is my top priority.



On top of all that it has to be an upgrade from my current DIR-655 Rev A3 in range/performance and Atheros WLAN compatibility.

Reply 3 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

Got the WNDR3500Lv2 and when I accidentally turned on a free WAP had half my apartment building on it. It gets good range and is 2.4 only.

Reply 4 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

So the WNDR3700 V2 sounds good right now even though I don't need 5Ghz wireless (I think 5Ghz can be tuned off) but I can use the Gigabit LAN/WAN ports for my single wired desktop and Motorola modem which has a Gigabit port.



I just hope I get a WNDR3700 V2 (02R4) as reported by users is good or else a V1 would do.

Reply 5 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

Atheros chipset is not a requirement. 801.11n is far from its beginnings and all devices work OK with all kinds of chipsets.

If it's the 2.4GHz range you're after Linksys E4200 is the best by far. It's a bit pricey though.

Reply 6 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

I did some more research last night and the Netgear 3700 cannot run in N more only like the DIR-655 which is a minus for me plus the NetGer costs $140 as oppose to $75 for the DIR-655. I'm just not sure it's worth double the cost if I'm not using 5Ghz and all my devices are on N wireless.



I'll look into the Linksys E4200.



Thanks,

Reply 7 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

E4200 is quite expensive but take a looks at this table:

Cisco Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router Reviewed - Wireless Performance 5GHz, Competitive, Closing Thoughts - SmallNetBuilder



Locations E & F are the ones that are far from the router.

As you see E4200 manages close to twice the throughput of WNDR3700 and WNDR3700 v2 in those locations.



The thing is- if all you care is good coverage and speed in all places you'd be better off spending $70 on a Netgear WNR3500L and buying two simple routers like WRT54G (the old Linux ones) to work as WDS.



Buying WNDR3700 or E4200 you're also paying for a lot of RAM, 5GHz band capabilities that you don't seem to need.

Reply 8 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

I found this Asus RT-N16: Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N16 802.11b/g/n Gigabit Wireless Router up to 300Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage, Printer And Media Server



The router seems to fit me needs perfectly, 2.4Ghz N and Gigabit WAN/LAN ports.



Most users report the router is very good and an upgrade from the DIR-655 in range/performance and the price looks good too.



Of course the only thing about the RT-N16 is that the stock firmware is very buggy and I'll be either running open source DD-WRT or Tomato.

Reply 9 : Best 2.4Ghz N Router for Range.

Buffalo nfiniti kicks a for range. Bought one for about 110€ worth every penny. Sends a strong signal straight through cement walls let alone other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment