Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Gmail account appears to have been hacked

Hey guys,



I've been in Perth over here in Australia for the past week on business.

It's the first time I've logged into my gmail from my laptop using my secure wireless internet at home.



Just received a red warning at the top of my gmail screen. Checked the IP list, one login from Iran one day ago, another randomn country login 2 days ago...



I immediately clicked on the "log off all other users" button, then enabled 2 step verification. Then after thinking about it, changed the password. Ran a full virus scan, nothing found.



I am quite surprised and shocked this has happened to me. I am extremely cautious on the internet, never check my email from a public computer. Have a very strong password. Have Anti-Virus, always updated. Any thoughts as to how they got into my account?



I never use public wireless points, except in the Qantas lounge (Airport business lounge).



I have checked my sent mail, nothing appears to have been sent... What would these guys have been doing with my account? Whilst in Perth I couldn't get my iPhone 4 to tether with my laptop for internet, so I just used the phone for browsing.

Reply 1 : Gmail account appears to have been hacked

Have you checked your mail over an insecure network such as public wifi?



Are you logging into gmail using the standard HTTPS:// protocol?



Did your old password contain capital letters and/or number and/or symbols?



It's possible that your antivirus isn't picking something up. Which one are you running?



As for what they were doing... it's likely they were just collecting information on you. I'd watch your bank accounts/ change any important account information. If you have an online interface for banking that requires a password I suggest you change that password from a computer that you are 100% sure is clean over a secure network.



I'd suggest changing your router password. Make sure you aren't using WEP but instead are using WPA/2 with AES.



Any other accounts should probably be changed as well. Prioritize by sensitivity of information.



If you want to be super careful you can back your files up and reformat. I don't think that they got through your email via virus or rootkit.



It's also possible that someone "recovered" your password using the gmail recovery method. I also doubt this is the case as they'd have to know a considerable amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment